Dental Crowns & Bridges
Darren Bywater Dental Care offers a comprehensive selection of effective smile restoration treatments including dental crowns and bridges.
Modern and natural looking crowns like those available at our dentist here in Derby, are a great long-term solution for teeth that are damaged, cracked or chipped. Bridges are used for replacing missing teeth and ultimately completing a smile and restoring its aesthetic appeal.
Dental crowns improve the way the teeth look whilst providing additional strength and protection to the remaining tooth underneath. Crowns can be used for lots of reasons including:
- A tooth has more decay than can be repaired with dental fillings
- A tooth is worn right down and needs protecting
- To complete root canal treatment
- A big filling is already in place and the tooth needs additional support
- Improving the look of the smile
- As part of dental implant treatment
- As supports for a dental bridge
All our crown and bridgework is made in house at Darren Bywater Dental Care in Derby. We have invested in the latest technology utilising our own intra-oral scanner and in-house milling machine.
Created by technicians with 45 years of experience, we are able to scan the tooth and bite without the need for mouth impressions that can cause gagging. The crown can then be computer designed to the ideal form and function using computer aided design technology. Once approved, the crown can then be constructed using the in-house milling machine. Then final stage of construction involves staining, glazing and firing in our furnace.
The patient can choose between either the traditional fit 2 weeks later or opt for the premium express service which will allow the crown to be fitted the day of preparation and construction.
How A Dental Crown Works
Crowns are otherwise known as dental caps and provide a restoration of the tooth from the gum upwards. They replace the top part of the tooth entirely and we use them when something larger than a filling is needed to preserve the tooth, for completing root canal treatment and for dental implants. Dental crowns are incredibly natural looking and are made using our in-house facilities to ensure patients get the highest quality restorations possible.
Key benefits of dental crowns include:
- How they look - crowns are usually made from porcelain which has a beautiful translucent quality, similar to dental enamel.
- An improved bite - the crown will be made to fit in perfectly with your bite, improving chewing and speaking abilities considerably.
- Better protection of your natural tooth - the crown is designed to help you keep your natural tooth, protecting what is left, helping you avoid further damage.
- Versatility - we can use crowns in a wide range of treatments ranging from cosmetic dentistry to complete tooth restoration.
How Crown Treatment Works
When you come to our modern clinic for treatment we will always focus on ensuring that infection or decay is removed first, if there is any present. When your tooth is ready for the crown the treatment process will be similar to the following:
- We will use a local anaesthetic to ensure your treatment is pain-free
- We will prepare the tooth underneath by filing it down
- We might add dental cement to the tooth to build it up
- We will have your permanent crown made in our on-site laboratory
- Your crown will be fitted securely
Often we can complete treatment in one appointment but in instances where a crown is being used as part of bridge treatment or dental implants, the process above will be different.
Dental bridges are used to replace missing teeth and have been used successfully for many years. They fill the gap that is created when you lose a tooth and are made from a floating false tooth, surrounded by a crown either side to hold the bridge in place. The tooth sitting in the gap can be made from porcelain, a combination of materials, gold or other metals.
Dental bridges can also be part of an effective dental implant treatment. In all instances a dental bridge has to be supported, whether that is by crowns on the natural teeth either side of the gap, or by dental implants.
Key benefits of dental bridges include:
- Effective smile restoration
- Ability to combine treatment with dental implants for replacing several teeth
- Helping patients eat as they did before
- Helping patients speak as they did before
- Filling out hollow parts of the face affected by tooth loss
- Improving your bite and jaw comfort
- Stopping the movement of the natural teeth into a gap left in the teeth
The Process Of Placing A Dental Bridge
We can place a dental bridge in as few as two appointments with the process typically following these steps:
- Your thorough consultation
- We take an impression of the missing tooth gap
- Our dental laboratory creates an incredibly natural-looking bridge and the crowns to connect to it
- Preparation of the teeth either side of the missing tooth gap
- Placement of a temporary bridge and crowns
- Fitting of your permanent bridge
- We may offer a future appointment to check placement and bite is correct
Implant Retained Bridges
Dental bridges are a really good choice for replacing missing teeth. However, they can only replace the part of the tooth above the gum, not the part of the tooth below the gum. The issue with this is that the jawbone in the area of the missing tooth degrades, which can cause movement in the gums and remaining natural teeth, as well as loss of facial structure. This in turn can cause bridges and dentures to move and become progressively uncomfortable.
With implant retained dental bridges there is no movement at all because the implant supporting it is securely bonded in your jaw, creating a very firm anchor. Bridges secured in this way also help to stop the jawbone degrading.
Bridges supported by dental implants are an excellent option for patients wanting natural-feeling and looking restorations that are made to last. They are also more cost-effective than using individual implants because two or more implants can support a bridge consisting of several missing teeth.
Please Call Our Team To Discuss Crowns And Bridges
If you are interested in high quality dental restorations using natural-looking crowns and bridges, please call us for more advice. You can reach us on 01332 550926 and we will be pleased to arrange an appointment at a time to suit you. Our dedicated team at Darren Bywater Dental Care can restore your smile using modern, effective dental restoration treatments that create exceptional results.
Please contact us to arrange a detailed consultation about dental crown and bridge options with our popular Derby dentist, Darren Bywater.